Primary Care and Health Care Workforce Development Program
The Primary Care and Health Care Workforce Development Program offers a number of services to help communities recruit and retain primary care health professionals to serve the medically underserved areas in Louisiana. The program also serves as the State Office of Primary Care and works closely with the Louisiana Primary Care Association, a Louisiana trade association for Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs).
In addition to offering state and federal loan repayment and tax incentives to doctors, nurses and other health professionals, the services of professional recruiters are available and free of charge through Med Job Louisiana. Additionally, the Primary Care and Health Care Workforce Development Program also offers assistance to communities interested in hiring a foreign medical graduate through the Louisiana Conrad State 30 (J-1 visa waiver) Program.
The Primary Care and Health Care Workforce Development Program is funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration's Bureau of Primary Care and Health Professions to promote federal, state, local and private collaboration in expanding comprehensive, culturally competent, community-based primary health care services for medically underserved populations.
FEATURED HEALTH PROFESSIONAL WORKFORCE SERVICES
LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAMS
- Faculty Loan Repayment Program Information
- NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program
- State Loan Repayment Program
- National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment
EDUCATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS
- NURSE Corps Scholarship Program
- National Health Service Corps Scholarship
- School-Based Scholarships and Loans
RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION RESOURCES
- LA Tax Credit for Physicians and Dentists
- Federally Qualified Health Centers
- HRSA State Health Workforce Profile
- Louisiana Conrad State 30 (J-1 visa waiver) Program
- National Center for Health Workforce Analysis
- National Rural Recruitment and Retention Network - 3RNET.org
- Retention ToolKit
HEALTH PROFESSIONAL SHORTAGE AREAS
ACCESS TO PRIMARY CARE EXPANSION
Under certain circumstances, the federal government will cancel all or part of an educational loan. This practice is called Loan Forgiveness. To qualify, you must:
- Perform volunteer work;
- Perform military service;
- Teach or practice medicine in certain types of communities; or,
- Meet other criteria specified by the forgiveness program.
Find out whether you qualify for loan forgiveness.
For more information about Recruitment and Retention Services, contact:
Dorie Tschudy, Primary Care Officer
Bureau of Primary Care and Rural Health
Louisiana Department of Health Office of Public Health
Physical Address: 628 North 4th Street, 8th Floor, Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 3118, Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3118
Phone: (225) 342-1583
Fax: (225) 342-5839