Long-Term Care Systems Change
Like other states, Louisiana has begun efforts to “rebalance” the state’s long-term care systems to provide greater access to non-institutional, home and community-based alternatives with a goal of assisting people to remain a part of their communities.
Long- term supports and services, or long-term care, consists of the following services:
- Institutionally-based services (e.g, nursing homes and intermediate care facilities)
- Services in alternative residential and community settings (e.g., assisted living)
- Personal supports and services provided to people in their homes
Population aging and the large amount of Medicaid dollars already going toward long-term care services encouraged both the federal government and states to rethink the way long-term care systems have traditionally worked.
Learn more about Louisiana's work to transition elements of the Louisiana Rehabilitation Services program from Louisiana Department of Children & Family Services to LDH and the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
Louisiana's Plan for Choice
Through leadership from the LDH Office of Aging and Adult Services, the state has put forth a comprehensive plan to reform how long-term care services are delivered. These services include:
- Support services for the elderly and people who acquire a disability in adulthood
- Support services for children and adults who have developmental disabilities
- Educational services
- Vocational services
- Workforce development
- Long-term care planning and insurance
- Decision-making / guardianship
- Quality management
- Information Technology
Money Follows the Person Rebalancing Demonstration
My Place Louisiana is the state's program for the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Money Follows the Person (MFP) Rebalancing Demonstration, designed to help states try new ways of delivering Medicaid services. The demonstration program is designed to help people to move, or "transition" away from institutional settings to home and community-based environments, such as homes or apartments.